2020 Project - Research the Loyal Edmonton Regiment

There was an old soldier in my town named Peter Wilfred Tomkins, Service#M50680.
I remember him telling me that he served with the Loyal Edmonton Regiment. He mentioned Italian towns like Pachino and Campobasso. He told his grandson (my good friend) that he used to climb into knocked out German tanks looking for schnapps and that some Italian girls wanted him to stay in Italy when the war was over. Old Peter's granddaughter thought that he served with the 5th Canadian Armoured Division not the Loyal Eddies (as the Loyal Edmonton Regiment was called). So I have a mystery; with whom did he serve?
Fortunately there is the Loyal Edmonton Regiment Military Museum here in Edmonton for me to start with. Loyal Edmonton Regiment Military Museum

I'll begin my search there. I came across some interesting write ups on the LERM Museum website including a Quarterly newsletter that they post to their website.

I also found the Canadian Military History Journal.
Canadian Military History
There are some great articles about a number of different Canadian Military Regiments.


Recommended Citation

Wallace, Jack (1998) "Shermans in Sicily: The Diary of a Young Soldier, Summer 1943," Canadian Military History: Vol. 7 : Iss. 4 , Article 8.

Available at: https://scholars.wlu.ca/cmh/vol7/iss4/8




I'll be using some of the information I find to create scenarios for tabletop games. I'll follow the Loyal Eddies from Sicily into mainland Italy and up to the Gothic Line.
Cheers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting reading - Operations Report

Onwards to Leonforte, July 21st, 1943

Command & Colors - War of the Roses - Almost complete